Like the Kojonup Caravan Park on Facebook.

The Kojonup Caravan Park has clean comfortable
accommodation from $70 a night or $170 a week including full use of our
Fabulous Camp Kitchen.

Kojonup Caravan Park Accommodation > Kojonup History and Heritage

Located amidst a thriving sheep farming and mixed agricultural district, Kojonup was first surveyed in 1837 as a military outpost for the protection of travellers and the mail. Settlement soon followed although early pastoralists had to overcome a great many problems before the area prospered. The worst of these being poison plants which threatened the livestock.

These days the main industries in Kojonup are the Kojonup Abattoirs, light industrial engineering, Priors Bus and Coach Builders, sheep and cattle stud farms and a cattle selling complex.

Military Barracks 2011The military barracks, built in 1845 for the soldiers stationed in the area, still stands and has been converted into a museum. It is on the edge of Rotary Park, off Spring Street, and is open for inspection on Sunday afternoons. Kojonup region is known for its wild flowers, over 60 varieties of orchids are to be found along with leschenaultia and wattles. The Kojonup Flora Sanctuary is especially worth visiting in spring and Kojonup hosts the annual Country Wildflower Festival in September.

Kojonup The Spring 2006The Kojonup Spring and Picnic area is in Rotary Park. Many dignitaries of the past, including the first governor of the Swan River Colony, Sir James Stirling have slept by their camp-fire near the spring. Elvard's Cottage near the military barracks was built in the 1850's and is decorated with tools and implements from the early years.

In 1999 the Kojonup Noongar community and the Shire of Kojonup committed themselves to the joint management of the area generally known as the Kojonup "Spring" and the preservation of the spiritual, cultural and historical significance of the "Spring" and surrounding land. Visitors are welcome to picnic at this unique historical site. Follow signs from Albany Highway. More information here

Elverd Cottage. Built 1850

Around the corner from the Barracks (in Soldier Road) is Elverd’s Cottage which was built in 1854. The plaque outside explains that 'The rooms which were 14 ft by 13 ft built of stone, roofed with strong bound timber and well thatched.'The property was acquired by the Elverd Family in the 1880s and donated to the Historical Society. It now houses some interesting pieces of local memorabilia. There are no regular times of opening and people wanting to inspect the cottage should contact (08) 9831 1066. More information here

Historic Town Walk.

There are 52 sites that form the Historical Town Walk Trail such as the Kojonup Spring, Elverd CottageThe Flora & Fauna Santurary and the Noongar Sharpening Rock. Some other highlights include the;

Commercial Hotel. Built in 1860, it is the oldest continually licenced hotel in Western Australia. Originally called Elverd's Hotel, it then became Semblance of Old England and The Commonwealth. It is now The Commercial and is colloquially referred to as "The Bottom Pub".

Royal Hotel Kojonup's third hotel, built in 1887. Referred to as "The Top Pub" by the locals, it still features its 1880s colonial frontage. Royal Hotel c1906

Kojonup Railway Station 1920Railway Station.

Built in 1907, when the Katanning to Kojonup line opened. The railway closed following the 1982 floods and the building housed the Tourist Association until they moved to The Kodja Place. It is now the headquarters of the Kojonup Tourist Railway.

Memorial Hall.

Built in 1926 to commemorate those lost in WWI. The memorial foyer features an unusual stained glass ceiling. The Hall remains a major venue for community events.